Learn Cybersecurity Online in 24 Weeks
Online Chapel Hill Cybersecurity Boot Camp
Big data needs big protection. Global data creation is projected to grow to more than 180 zettabytes through 2025.1 And, as this amount continues to grow exponentially, so too will the need to protect sensitive and vulnerable information.
The Cybersecurity Boot Camp at UNC-Chapel Hill is a challenging, part-time program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to help students attain, in 24 intensive weeks, proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security.
- Gain experience with a host of popular tools such as Wireshark, Kali Linux, Metasploit, and Nessus.
- Learn skills applicable to certifications such as the CompTIA Security+, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Cloud+, and certified Ethical Hacker (CEH).
- Advance your skillset even if you’re currently employed or in school — through convenient evening classes.
- Benefit from a comprehensive set of career services to help equip you for success as you work to change career paths or advance in your current position.
1 “Volume of data/information created, captured, copied, and consumed worldwide from 2010 to 2020, with forecasts from 2021 to 2025.” (Sept. 8, 2022). Statista. Retrieved May 1, 2023 from https://www.statista.com/statistics/871513/worldwide-data-created/
If you want to become a digital defender and keep data safe from prying eyes, or if any of the below describe you, think about enrolling in this program — it could help you achieve your cybersecurity career goals.
You are a great fit for this program if any of the following describes you:
- You are currently working in a technical field and want to expand your cyber knowledge, better understand how to keep data secure, and gain hands-on skills to apply on the job.
- You are a part of a company that wants to protect the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of data and software.
- You understand the growing need for cybersecurity professionals and want to jump in to make the internet a safer space.
- You are a tech enthusiast looking to start your career in tech and get your foot in the door in the world of networking and security.
Building On The Basics
To achieve your goals in cybersecurity, you need not only deep security knowledge but also experience with the application of that knowledge. Our curriculum is designed to give you both the knowledge you need to move toward the cybersecurity industry and ample experience applying that knowledge to real-world problems.
Throughout the program, you will learn tools and technologies vetted by current practitioners, and gain skills applicable to certifications expected of all serious security professionals.
In The Cybersecurity Boot Camp at UNC-Chapel Hill, students get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture.
You’ll study with skilled instructors and experts in the field, and gain real-world experience by collaborating with your peers. Through hands-on application, you’ll also gain the confidence you need to tap into the industry. The curriculum* will dive into the foundational skills for cyber and network security, including:
- Packet Analysis
- Windows and Linux Administration Techniques
- Windows and Linux Hardening
- Secure Network Design and Architecture
- Risk Management
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Identity and Access Management
- Cloud Security
- Ethical Hacking and Penetration:
- Kali Linux
- Burp Suite
- Web Vulnerabilities and Security
- Cybersecurity Careers:
- Digital Forensics Methods
- Penetration Testing
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Security Operations and Analytics
- Programming and Scripting:
- Bash Scripting
- PowerShell Scripting
*The material covered is subject to change. Our academic team adjusts to the market demand.
By the time you complete the program, you will know how to:
- Conduct vulnerability assessments using tools like Metasploit to profile an application for vulnerabilities, and then exploit those vulnerabilities.
- Configure machines on a virtual network, deploy them to the cloud, and investigate cloud security risks.
- Identify suspicious patterns of user behavior to identify bots, intruders, and other malicious actors.
- Write Bash scripts to automate security and operating systems tasks.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Cybersecurity Boot Camp at UNC-Chapel Hill is being held through our tried and tested virtual classroom. For more information on how to apply to this program, please fill out our contact form or call to speak with admissions at (919) 425-0055.
Students can complete the part-time yet intensive cybersecurity program in six months (24 weeks).
No previous experience is required as long as you are dedicated and eager to learn. The pre-course tutorials will help you prepare for the Cybersecurity Boot Camp.
No. Applicants to the Cybersecurity Boot Camp at UNC-Chapel Hill do not need to be UNC-Chapel Hill students. This program is offered through UNC-Chapel Hill Digital and Lifelong Learning.
- 24-week program
- Classes held three weekdays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. ET
» Coding Part-Time 03/25/24
» Data Analytics Part-Time 03/25/24
» Digital Marketing Part-Time 03/11/24
» Cybersecurity Part-Time 06/03/24
» Artificial Intelligence Part-Time 03/11/24
Ready to learn more about The Cybersecurity Boot Camp at UNC-Chapel Hill? Contact an admissions advisor at (919) 425-0055.