Classes begin quarterly
Learn to Code Online in 24 Weeks
Web development is a fast-growing career track, and The Coding Boot Camp at UNC-Chapel Hill teaches you the specialized skills you need to tap into this rewarding industry. Through a fast-paced, immersive curriculum, you’ll learn the skills needed to become proficient in front-end and back-end technologies.
Our program is designed to give you the flexibility you need to balance your work-life schedule while providing you with the structure and support you need to be successful in achieving your career goals.
Our online coding course blends the best of online education: engaging content to work through on your own schedule and live, interactive online classes led by expert instructors.
Our industry-driven curriculum teaches you the most in-demand web development skills through real-world examples. Everything you learn is immediately applicable to a professional environment.
Why Choose Our Coding Program?
As you embark on this 24-week journey, you’ll dive into a challenging curriculum and learn more than you thought was possible. With an interactive online classroom environment and collaboration with your classmates, you will get hands on experience in full-stack web development.
- Study part-time while maintaining your work schedule.
- Simulate a professional work environment by teaming up with your peers on real-world projects and build complex applications that will bolster your professional portfolio.
- Gain access to continuation courses that cover additional in-demand technologies, including Python, Java, C#, and Amazon Web Services.
- Earn a digital Professional Certificate from the William and Ida Friday Center for Continuing Education at UNC-Chapel Hill, demonstrating your achievements.
- Benefit from a wide set of career services: resume and social media profile support, technical interview preparation, portfolio reviews, soft skills training, coaching, job matching, and more to help you launch or advance your career.
Gain Future-Proof Skills
Our part-time coding program curriculum covers front end and back end technologies*, and you will complete the program with the skills needed to become a full stack web developer:
- Algorithms (Searches, Sorts)
- Time Complexity
- Big O Notation
- Data Structures
Browser Based Technologies
- Responsive Design
- Local Storage, Session Storage, IndexedDB
Server Side Development
- User Authentication
- Progressive Web Applications (PWAs)
- MERN Stack (MongoDB, Express.js, React.js, Node.js)
Supplemental Self-Study Topics
- Amazon Web Services
*The material covered is subject to change. Our academic team adjusts to the market demand.
Get Program Info
Industry-Driven Full Stack Curriculum
To optimize our full stack curriculum and ensure we are continually teaching the most in-demand technologies, we work closely with employers and industry professionals looking for those who have completed a boot camp. Our curriculum includes:
A high-level, interpreted scripting language found on most of today’s web pages, this is the programming language that brings your site to life.
Defines the structure and layout of a webpage. This language is critical as it dictates a site’s organization.
Defines the style of a webpage and how it is presented to the user. This language is important because it determines fonts, colors, and positions of webpage elements.
A front end framework used to design responsive websites and web apps. This framework is fundamental to achieving good performance.
A database management system used to store and retrieve data. This system is critical for developers as most applications today require a MySQL database to preserve information.
A document-oriented NoSQL database. This database is critical for security and it is trusted to power business-critical applications in over 50 percent of the Fortune 100 companies.
A web application framework for Node.js. This framework play a crucial role in the flow of data between server and routes in server-side applications.
*The material covered is subject to change. Our academic team adjusts to the market demand.
Innovative Online Model
Our online coding boot camp was designed for busy, working professionals like you. We understand that you need the flexibility to fit your education around your existing work and life commitments, but we also know that accountability is needed to help you become a web developer.
Flexible Online Lessons
Each week you will work through the project-based lessons on your own schedule. Fit the content around your life and work commitments knowing our support system is there if you need it.
Engaging Virtual Classes
Attend class from wherever you are. Our online classes are NOT lectures: they’re designed to be engaging and interactive sessions. Work with other members of your tightly-knit cohort and broaden your experience while leaning on your instructor and teaching assistants.
Receive extensive real-time support from a team dedicated to helping you succeed. This support team consists of instructors, teaching assistants, and student success and career services teams.
Retain your new coding skills by utilizing additional opportunities to apply your knowledge in real-world settings. Make sure that you’re on-pace and progressing through the course as you should be.
When learning the skills for web development, it’s important to have help available when you need it. The Coding Boot Camp at UNC-Chapel Hill offers you multiple layers of support from a team of people who have your back, including:
Get support from instructors and teaching assistants. Our industry professional instructional staff is there to help you gain the skills you need on your journey.
Qualified students will have access to free tutoring upon request and receive up to an hour a week of 1:1 time with a skilled tutor to discuss class material, code reviews, or career related questions.
Students receive support from a dedicated team throughout their boot camp journey. Whether you need a coach, some inspiration, or someone to talk to about catching up on homework, you’ll always have someone there to help.
You will have access to a dedicated career director and career material advisor that will help you prepare to land your dream job after completing the boot camp. Learn how to build your personal brand and stand out in today’s market through:
- Technical and Behavioral Interview Preparation
- Industry Speakers and Events
- Resume, LinkedIn and Portfolio Development
Students will have a classroom full of fellow data professionals to collaborate with, ask questions or motivate each other through difficult material. The virtual classes allows students to bolster their professional network, extending beyond program completion. Once you complete the program, you will become a member of our boot camp alumni community, which brings a wealth of networking opportunities.
Is This Online Coding Boot Camp Right for You?
You’re looking to advance your current career and learn coding skills to open up new opportunities
You’re interested in switching careers and want to become a professional web developer
You want to enhance your coding skills or learn web development to advance in your role
How to Apply
- Form Submission. Fill out our program interest form with a few of your key details so that we can get in touch with you.
- Admissions Interview and Application. Connect with a member of our admissions team for a quick phone interview to discuss the program in more detail, answer your questions, and talk through your goals. Then, fill out a short application that tells us more about you and your reasons for pursuing this opportunity.
- Assessment. Complete a multiple-choice critical thinking and problem-solving assessment. This is your chance to show us your logic-based skills. No prior industry experience is required to complete the assessment. If you pass your academic assessment (congratulations!), you are officially accepted into the program and able to move forward with the enrollment process.
- Financial Options, Deposit, and Enrollment Agreement. After acceptance into the program, you will connect with admissions to discuss which financial option works best for you. Once you’ve approved your desired payment method, the last step to finalize your enrollment is to pay your deposit and review and sign your enrollment agreement.
Start Your Journey. That’s it! You’re now ready to begin your program pre-work and prepare to start the boot camp.
Coding Boot Camp Schedule
- 24-week online format
- Study part-time while maintaining your existing professional, educational or personal obligations
- Learn through a blend of scheduled instructor-led online classes three days per week and engaging content and projects to work through on your own schedule
- Dedicate 4 hours of scheduled in-class time per week and a minimum of 20+ hours outside of class on self-paced learning and hands-on projects
Currently Enrolling » Coding Part-Time 7/25/22 » Data Analytics Part-Time 8/22/22 » Digital Marketing Part-Time 9/6/22 » Tech Project Mgmt Part-Time 7/11/22 » Product Mgmt Part-Time 10/31/22
» Coding Part-Time 7/25/22
» Data Analytics Part-Time 8/22/22
» Digital Marketing Part-Time 9/6/22
» Tech Project Mgmt Part-Time 7/11/22
» Product Mgmt Part-Time 10/31/22
Frequently Asked Questions
No experience is needed as long as you are dedicated and eager to learn. The pre-course tutorials will help you prepare for the Coding Boot Camp.
The part-time coding program is six months (24 weeks) long.
No, applicants do not need to be UNC-Chapel Hill students. This program is offered through UNC-Chapel Hill Digital and Lifelong Learning.